Friday, July 25, 2008

Some of the most yummest food in the world

Oh Yes, I do love the farmers market.

The other day I went early in the morning to the market in my town & got some really tasty vine ripened tomatoes, sugar peas, yellow beans, corn on the cob, & various kinds of lettuce, I love fresh greens for the salad, beets, & some good round plump blue berries. All on display in such an appealing way there was no resisting.

I could easily be a vegetarian especially in the summer when all those good things are fresh and easy to get locally. Even Sweetman is not opposed to having just fresh veggies for dinner once in awhile. Usually we steam or roast them on the grill especially the sweet corn, Yummo!!!, roasting on the grill gives the corn a wonderful roasted taste with just a few of the kernels browned, then smear it all over with real butter and sprinkle on a little lemon pepper. I tell you it doesn't get any better.

I have to tell you a funny quirk that Sweetman has, he likes his yellow or green beans cooked & then he fries them in a little bacon grease, (yes I said bacon grease) until they are almost black then he puts ketchup all over them & says it's heaven!!! I have never heard of cooking beans this way before I met him & this has always given me a chuckle. I grew up never frying much of anything so this was unheard of in my family. I have tried them but still prefer my veggies al dente & with some butter, & a little seasoning. Has anyone ever heard of cooking beans that way????

We compromise on how we eat our veggies, he likes his cooked soft & I prefer crisp so I take a portion out early for me & allow them to cook a bit longer for him. Makes us both happy. Any way you fix em it makes for good healthy eats. If I had the time, energy & know how I'd have my own garden but we are surrounded with farmers & they do all the work, I just cook & eat!!!

9 comments:

Mari said...

I love fresh fruits and veggies too, but Bob would never eat just them for supper. He thinks he needs meat. I never heard of beans cooked the way Ray does - and then to add ketchup? I'll stick to your way!

Anonymous said...

I love all the fresh veggies and fruits right now!! Never heard of fried beans in bacon grease though, but Ray really should open his own restraunt cause I miss his baked beans, yummy!! Have a great weekend:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy, I grew up in the south and practiclly everything we ate was cooked in grease one way or another. My favorite was bacon grease..Yummy... When the pole beans were ready, they were picked and washed and ready for cooking. (They saved all the bacon grease). The recipe goes something like this. Place all the beans in the largest pot in the house. Then put in all the small red (new) potatoes. Cover ingredients with water. Pour bacon grease in until the top of water is covered. Add some salt and pepper. Bring to boil, then simmer until well done. A pone of cornbread is made to eat with your green beans, Add a glass of milk(still warm) and "SUPPERS READY"!!!!! Kae P.
Try it you'll love them....k

Unknown said...

Wow Kae, I never thought anyone else used bacon grease for cooking like that. I know sweetman would love all that southern cookin. Thanks for the comnment and the recipe.. I love red potatoes too.

Anonymous said...

No, I can't say I've heard of cooking beans that way. Personally, I think that would ruin them. I enjoyed your comment about the farmers doing the work and all you needed to do was cook and eat. Priceless!

Susan said...

We don't have the farmers markets in our little town and I am very envious of you!!! We do have a small garden and we share with neighbors and they share with us. That helps a bunch!!!
Susan

Laura said...

I think I'll probably eat my veggies with you Nancy! I've never heard of Ray's way either! Fresh summer veggies sure are good though!

Cathy said...

Makes sense to me, as we used to cook green beans in fat meat for seasoning in the South. I can't really remember what it was called- fatback or salt pork? Anyway, I don't use that seasoning anymore. But my parents were not really into the health thing at all. And the taste was delicious. I love just plain vegetables with butter. And believe me, the low fat, good for you butter, does not have much taste.

Unknown said...

I too love the fresh veggie you can get at the farmers market this time of year.Have a great day. Lisa