Thursday, June 16, 2011

Majestic to see!!!

 Many of you know I live in the country, I wouldn't have it any other way, in fact we don't live far enough away from the hustle and bustle of daily life and can still pick up traffic sounds on some occasions, usually in the evenings.
Anyway a couple of day ago I took a bike ride, not motor bike but self propelled, you know peddle bike kind.
Anyway I found myself on a two track not far from where I live (actually it is a private drive) but don't tell any one.
There is a home way back in the woods on that same road but no one lives in it at the present time, its a huge house and has been up for sale for some time. They want a lot of money for it but that's beside the point here I'm getting off the reason for this post.
I was wheeling along quietly and thanking the Lord for solitude and the beauty of the canvas of the huge trees that were making a canopy over the little road, the dappled sunlight of the closing of the day was fading, I think it was about 7pm.
When something caught my eye up in one of the trees, my first thought was probably a raccoon, because we have alot of them around. So I slowed down and tried to focus on the branch I saw the motion in.
I couldn't believe what I saw, two magnificent owls sitting on a branch directly in front of me. One of them took off in flight as soon as I stopped,its huge wings must have spread at least 6 ft and it was amazing it didn't crash into other branches as it took flight but the other just turned its head and looked right at me.
Of course I didn't have my camera so the picture you see here is almost exactly what I saw but I did have my phone and I slowly reached into my pocket to try to get a shot but as I moved the owl took off.
Each one must have been at least 2 ft tall so I'm sure they were great horned owls. Right away i thought about how they are always around us in the woods but we rarely see them, kind like the Holy Spirit who is always around us but we don't see Him because we don't look for Him.
We forget that from an almighty God are ALL things, through Him are ALL things, ALL things were created by Him including the owls we don't see to often or the Holy spirit that guides our lives. Not only is He the source, but He is also the sustainer, the one who " upholds the universe by the word of His power" ( Hebrews 1:3 )
To Him are all things, He is our supreme purpose. He is our goal. He created all things----including you and me and owls for Himself and His pleasure. Don't you think that its wonderful that a God that is so big allows us to see some of the beautiful creatures He has created??


 

5 comments:

Susan said...

How exciting. We saw one about 20 years ago when we were living in NM. Our son came in and said "There's an owl in the tree". We of course thought "No way." Maybe, a big bird but not an owl. He insisted and we went out and sure enough there he sat. What facinated me the most was the way he turned his head clear around!!!

Love you analogy about The Holy Spirit. Yes, He is always there looking after us and over us and wanting so for us to acknowledge Him and listen to His leading.

Connie said...

Your post for today is so true. How anyone can believe there is NO God after seeing his handiwork is beyond me.

betty said...

What a wonderful gift you got from God to see the owls! I'm sure it is something you will not forget for a very long time! I am constantly amazed at the wonderful gifts God gives me with his creation, he and me have a special thing going with hawks and falcons. Someone said it was like God giving me a hug and I have to agree with that. Amazing he loves us so much!

good for you getting out and taking a bike ride!

betty

Mari said...

How did I miss this post?
I think it's so cool that you got to see one of these. Yes, God is wonderful to let us enjoy the different creatures.

Shelly said...

So cool! I love the analogy and yes it is amazing to see what God has created for us. We just need to stop and take the time to look.