Wednesday, April 27, 2011

SOMETIMES THERE JUST ISN'T AN ANSWER

Many of you know I attend a Bible study on Tues and we have been digging into Luke with deep teaching from our sweet and knowledgeable teacher. .But even she gets baffled at times by some of the things Jesus says to his disciples. I think that is one of the things I like so much about her is she is not afraid to say I just don't know what He is trying to say here. That in itself gets us all the thinking and looking deeper into the message and the meaning behind it.

 Even some of the best commentators have different views so in the end its often just one of those mysteries that we will have wait till we get to heaven. Our verse in question is Luke 17:37 when Jesus is answering the disciples question about the return of the son of man and when will this happen? And Jesus answers with a strange response. "Just as the gathering of vultures shows there is a carcass nearby, so these signs indicate that the end is near." Luke 17:37This can be referred to a a near/far statement, which means Jesus was trying to make the disciples understand something that is important to them in their time and at the same time something that can be meant for us in the distance future.  Some commentaries compare this passage in Luke to one in Revelation and the Armageddon, which is truly blood bath where the carrion's will dine on the rotting flesh of beasts and men. I don't know about you but digging into the word and comparing scripture to scripture seems to confirm to my heart that God loves us with unfailing love and is desperately trying to reach us and help us to understand His message. Does anyone else have any comments or thoughts on this?? Or maybe just share something your learning in a Bible study.

6 comments:

Mari said...

This is a good reminder that we don't have to have all the answers - just be honest!

Karin said...

Thanks for your visit and comment at my blog. Welcome! The older I get the more comfortable I am saying that I don't have the answer about so many things God's Word talks about. Good post!

Connie said...

I think that verse shows us that the end will come as sure as the vultures will come to eat the rotting flesh of the birds. We don't know when BUT it will happen at the proper time. As I get older I am more willing to admit that many of the verses in the Bible are difficult to understand. That is where faith comes into play. My Uncle who raised me used to say "people try to be to smart". He had a simple faith - if the Bible says it that was good enough for him. He is enjoying life with his Savior for about 34 years now. Good post. I'm glad you are enjoying your Bible study.

yeti said...

I know some people spend a lot of time trying to connect the dots of what is happening in the world to when the world will end. I don't know that that is important. I think though it is important to live like the world could end very shortly. It could be that what this means to us today is different than what it meant to the disciples. But did it matter to them then?

Cherdecor said...

I've only recently realized that when Jesus talks to the disciples, He is always referring to the second coming, not the rapture. The church age and the rapture AND the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in people were something that the Old Testament people knew nothing about.

I've enjoyed reading your posts this morning. Oh, yeah, what do you think about the guy who is saying that Judgment Day is May 21? Crazy, HUH? No man knows the day nor the hour.

yeti said...

I haven't actually heard about the Guy who is saying thatJudgment day is May 21. I think that perhaps when Jesus said noone knows the Day or HOur he mans that no one knows the day or hour... just a thought