Wednesday, March 4, 2009

So he says want to go for a walk??

I was off work today and managed to accomplish a few things around the house, always makes a body feel good. The sun was out and the temps were not so cold as they have been, just looking out side beckoned a person want to do something outdoors.

Sweetman isn't one to say let's go for a walk very quickly but today he said just that.
I've been having a bit of a problem with my knee lately so haven't been doing my daily walking outside or on the treadmill but I couldn't turn down this invitation.
We suited up (coats and mittens) and took off down the driveway with Sweetman in the lead for a change. He turned to walk down the crooked way. For those of you who know me that's how I refer to the winding road going one direction from my house and the other is rather straight with more homes and not so interesting. I prefer the crooked way.

Its not that he is opposed to walking but he does like to explore off the beaten path.

Sweetman says" Lets take a short cut" we did this once when we were out west, our hour walk turned into 4 hours because we got kinda lost.

Anyway off we tread, on a semi path through the woods. We walked on what was once an old driveway leading to a house that has long ago been abandoned, and since demolished but sat on the point of a bayou.
We tramped over felled trees, brambles, briers and tall grasses smashed down by the winter snows.
Meandered down a bank leading to the bayou that was covered with soft emerald green mosses, hidden among clumps of dirty melting snow.

I said "this is where Leprechauns live"
Sweetman says "oh really"??? and smiled.

We walked out onto the frozen bayou that was a smooth as glass, it would have made the perfect ice skating rink, except the ice started to make cracking sounds so we hightailed it off as fast as we could. Swimming in a frozen bayou just wasn't in the plan.

We found ourselves coming out on my favorite road with tall pines gently swaying in the breeze and the smell of pine needles and soft dirt, it was so quiet and peaceful.

I said, " this is an enchanted forest you know"
Sweetman says, "Oh really"??
I said, "yes and I bet if we're quiet we might see a unicorn."


Sweetman just smiled....

7 comments:

Cheri said...

Sounds like a lovely walk!

Mari said...

What a nice walk! I went on a long walk too - to the bayou near us. It was pretty - you can see a picture on my photo blog.
I am jealous of your winding road - it would be a great place to walk.

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

Susan said...

Sounds lovely and delightful.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I guess you had yourself a Fun Walk. Good for you!

Connie Barris said...

how tender.. how sweet..

yes, never know when you might find a unicorn... smile

I feel so relaxed now

Saija said...

*grinning* ... sounds like you had my kind of walk ... and to share it with your honey - life is good, eh!

blessings on your sunday!