Monday, August 27, 2007

Nuclear What!!!!!

Have you ever had one of those days when there is something you know you have to do but just dread doing it??? Today was one of them for me. I've had a lovely 3 days off work but today is one I wish I would have rather been at work. When you hit your 50's things seem to start to fall apart, I am not a pessimist but since my 50th birthday,(yes, I'm over 50) I have had little minor things go wrong with this ole' bod of mine. Frozen shoulders, yep, both of them, trigger fingers,4 repaired, joints that ache, hot flashes, & eye surgery, just to name a few & none of these are serious in comparison to what many others have to deal with. So I'm not looking for sympathy either, just filling you in.
Today I had to go have a stress test to check out my heart, I have had an irregular heart rate for the last four years due to a virus that left some damage. So I'm expecting to do what most people do when you go for this test. Walk on a tread mill for a few minutes while they (Dr's.) monitor your heart, right???? I'm thinking this is going to be a piece of cake because I walk all the time, about 2 miles every other day or so. How hard can 10-15 minutes be on a treadmill??? But, Oh NO!!! I did wonder why they told me no food until after the test & definitely no coffee, now that was the hardest part for me, because by 8 am I have usually had at least 3 cups....I never seem to finish one before it gets cold but that isn't the point....
It seems because of the type of damage I have the treadmill is out. They tell me I will be having a nuclear stress test!!!!! My first thought was, "oh,no I won't, your not going to light me up with any nuclear juice"!!! I may be a nurse but I've worked in a long term nursing home for the last 28 years & this nuclear stuff just isn't in my realm of wisdom. I take care of little old men & ladies & we don't do any nuclear jargon there. Well, after some lengthy explaining they convinced me that it would be perfectly fine. However, for about 6 minutes I would have a very unusual sensation, that would make me feel as if I was exercising strenuously, plus I could get nauseated, & have hot flashes!!!! and I thought I was getting over those..... but it would pass quickly. So I did what I was told & the procedure went on without a hitch, but it was not something I would want to do to often..No I didn't get hot flashes or nauseated & they told me I tolerated the whole thing pretty well, compared to some people who have every side effect & then some, but I would have much rather have walked on the stupid treadmill to at least get in some of my walking for the day!!!!
All this complaining just to say I'm thankful we have these tests to help Dr's know how to treat all the ailments that we seem to acquire & that the Lord has given that wisdom & knowledge to mankind to use to help so many people. Now I think I will go take a shower to see if I can get rid of this glow on my skin....!!

5 comments:

Rmomof3 said...

Ohh, sweet Nancy! I know what you mean! Even though, we will have another blessing as a result - I am ohhh, sooo dreading this whole c-section thing that is LOOMING above me!

Sweet blessings!
Renee

Unknown said...

renee, Yes but you will have that little Blessing to hold when it's all over!!!!! Sweetness back to you!!!

Laura said...

Oh Nancy! I'm sorry you had to do that - I'm glad it went well though - and honestly, I don't think you look like you're over 50 - you seem very young! So I'm sure you passed your nuclear exam with flying colors!

Mari said...

I'm sorry you had to deal with that and glad it's done. I'm praying for good results.

Anonymous said...

YUK!, my sister just had that and she did not do well.but her results were great. wow we are both over 50 hmmm.have you really been there for 28 years? oh man oh man where does the time go? i to will pray for great results.